This term, 3/4W has been focusing on creating descriptive writing pieces. We have worked hard to upgrade our vocabulary, include similes and metaphors to create a picture in our reader’s head. As a class, we have eaten an Oreo and then written about this experience and we have also ‘visited’ a rain forest!
Here is an image
What have you learnt about descriptive writing? Can you write a descriptive sentence based on the image above?
Hi there 3/4W,
Welcome back to a very exciting term! There are so many activities planned this term including:
- Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony
- Show day
- Years 3-6 Concert
Over the holidays I went to Beijing, China. I visited Tiananmen Square, some Hu Tongs (old laneways) and Tsinghua University. I had a great time visiting my cousin and uncle.
What are you looking forward to this term? What was a holiday highlight?
This term our inquiry unit is called ‘I sea I care’. We worked out that in a year if everyone in our whole school (including all the staff) used 4 toothbrushes we would use around 1776 toothbrushes. That’s a lot of toothbrushes going to landfill! This will destroy the environment and marine life. In 3/4w we discussed that this is very alarming so we decided to create jobs for everyone in the class to provide help to the environment and marine life, because toothbrushes are not always recycled. We discovered an organisation called Terracycle, which helps to reduce the amount of plastic in the environment by recycling used toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes. So we decided we would help Terracycle by collecting used toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes. please bring your old toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes and place them in the 3/4W boxes!
Shauna & Elizabeth (students of 3/4w)
Do you care about the marine environment and why? What can you do to help the marine environment?
Last week, 3/4W went on school camp. Everyone had a blast at Phillip Island. We got to go to the penguin parade and chance to go to the nobbies. We did many activities including:
Single Flying Fox
When we went to the penguin parade we saw penguins waddling up the beach and going into their burrows.
Things we enjoyed about camp:
- The giant swing because it was really high so we got a good view. It was fun and scary.
- The camp concert because the teachers did a funny dance to ‘Can’t stop that feeling’.
- The camp cooking because we got to eat so many pancakes.
- Archery because it was exciting and challenging to shoot the arrows.
- The flying fox because we got to speed along the field.
- Eating all the yummy food like the tomato soup, hot chocolate, chocolate mousse, garlic bread and so on.
- Free choice in our camp groups because we could do different activities like table tennis, Monopoly, Lego and Ed’s Alley.
- The movie night where we watched ‘Finding Dory’ because we got to eat popcorn and it was an exciting movie.
- Cabin time because we could spend time with our friends.
Things that could be improved about camp:
- The flying fox could be longer so it would be more fun.
- The giant swing could be higher so we could challenge ourselves more.
- Camp could be longer than 2 nights and 3 days because it was so fun and went too quickly.
- Archery could have 5 arrows instead of 3 so people could have more time to get better at aiming at the bull’s eye. We also wish that there were more targets so more people could have a go at the same time.
- Cabin time could be longer because then we get to spend more time with our friends.
What did you enjoy about camp and why? Or if you didn’t go to camp, what do you think you would have enjoyed?
This term 3/4W’s inquiry unit is called ‘ I sea I care’
We have been discovering how plastic has affected the ocean , and what harm it has done. We have been watching several videos on:
- Micro plastics
- Marine wildlife
- Ocean of truth
- Plastic oceans
Marine wildlife and sea birds have mistaken plastic for food. They have also choked on plastic and been caught in fishing nets.
Would you like to be a marine animal who gets choked by plastic?
What changes can you make to save the ocean?
A sea turtle mistakenly eating plastic thinking its food
Plastic bags floating in the ocean
This is what an ocean should like. A plastic free home
Welcome back to Term 3! I hope you enjoyed your holidays. We have amazing things happening this term including:
- Our inquiry unit ‘I sea, I care’
- Athletics Carnival
- Cultural day
What did you enjoy on the holidays and what are you looking forward to this term?
This term 3/4w has been learning about visual literacy. We learnt about different layouts, shots and angles. Here is an example of a shot. A silhouette for instance is to show outlines of subjects against the light to create a mood. An example of an angle is a high angle. A high angle is an aerial or high shot placed above the subject suggesting looking down at them or to emphasise or perspective. We worked hard to illustrate some pictures to accompany our narrative pieces thinking about different layouts, shots and angles.
Look at some pictures we did. What layouts, shots and angles do you see?
34W Visual literacy portrait-1egp6i3
34W visual lit landscape-1ym4jjb
Last term, 3/4W participated in an activity called Matter Chef. It was just like Master Chef. We had a mystery ingredient which was an egg. We had 5 minutes at the pantry, 10 minutes to put together our ingredients, and 10 minutes at the Matter chef frying pan. We had judges taste our food, which was delicious. We made food like pancakes and toast, with toppings of peaches and chocolate. Here are some photos of 3/4W making their dessert:
What was your favourite part of Matter Chef and why?
Or if you didn’t participate,
What do you think you would have most enjoyed?
Term 2 has been a whirlwind of fun. We have participated in so many different activities. Some of them include:
- Matter Chef where we were put in 5 teams and we had to cook using eggs as our mystery item and a variety of ingredients. We were judged on our cooking and the judges had to taste our food. Ms Wong even tasted our food!
- Swimming for two weeks. We really enjoyed learning new strokes and going on large inflatable obstacle course.
- Having the forensic science incursion. We were told a diamond was stolen and we had to use clues to work out who was the thief out of four suspects.
- The Winter Concert where some people in 3/4W played the violin and guitar for the orchestras.
- Cross Country where we had to run 2km around a park.
- The illustrator/author Craig Smith visiting 3/4W. He showed us some of his great drawings and we had a go of drawing a kid on a skateboard.
- Art where we used clay to make pinch pots and clay figures.
- Mad about the Science incursion where a scientist spoke to us about dry ice and taught us about the different states of matter – gas, solid and liquid.
- Narrative writing where we wrote from the point of view of a character from a fairy tale. For example, writing from the point of view of Rumplestilskin or Goldilocks.
- Narrative writing where we wrote a sequel to a fairy tale. For example, writing what happens next in Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
- The Biggest Morning Tea to raise money for the Cancer Council with our Year 1/2 buddy class.
- Maths times tables. We are hoping to get our licences soon.
- Having a student teacher, Ms Field, work with us for two weeks. She helped us with our science experiments.
- Reading groups where we read interesting books including The Twits, In Big Trouble and Veruschka Babushka.
- Maths fractions where we made fraction posters on what is a half.
What was your favourite activity this term and why?
This term, our inquiry unit is called ‘State of Change’. We are learning about the states of matter and doing different science experiments. We have learnt that the different states include solids, liquids and gases. Solids are usually hard and don’t change shape. Liquids can change shape and they can be poured but they can’t change size. Gases are usually not visible and they can change shape and they take all the room that they are given.
Some experiments we have completed include:
- Making popcorn
- Making a volcano
- Making sherbert
- Making invisible ink
- Melting chocolate
This is a video of one of our science experiments.
What has been your favourite experiment and what did you learn? Or what other science experiments do you know?