3/4W’s Awesome Science Experiments

This term, 3/4W have been doing a variety of experiments. At the start of the term we did an experiment with ice to see how long it would take to melt. We then did this experiment again because we found that when we first did it, it was not a fair test.

This is some of our reflections after doing the first ice experiment:

The ice melting experiment number 1

It’s not fair because some people got the ice before others.

It’s not fair because some people got bigger bits or more ice than others.

It’s not fair because some people did different things with the ice like putting it on the finger, the hand or sucking it.

It’s not fair because some people were in the shade and some people were in the sun.

How could we make it a fair test?

Start at the same time by taking the ice at exactly the same time. We will put ice on the table so that everyone can get it at the same time.

Getting ice of the same size.

Making sure people are in the same environment or place or weather.

Everyone put the ice on your palm. If people are putting it on different areas of their body or hand than the ice might melt quicker or slower.

We will have only one person to do the timer and we will use an online stopwatch.

We found out that most ice blocks melted after 9 minutes. However, another class found most of theirs melted after 5 minutes. We think this might be due to the weather.

Something that is difficult to change

Everyone’s hands are different temperatures.

These are some pictures and steps for our other experiments.

IMG_2264 IMG_2265 IMG_2266 IMG_2267 IMG_2269 IMG_2270

Making Fizzy Sherbert

Volcanic Eruption

Making Ooblek

Do you know any other science experiments? If so, please tell us about them. What did you learn from these experiments? Which one is your favourite experiment and why?

16 thoughts on “3/4W’s Awesome Science Experiments

1. Dear 3/4W,
    I really liked making the fizzy sherbet because it was really yummy and at the same time sour. My favourite part was when my group shook the plastic bag so that the flavours all mixed together.
    From Lucas

• Dear Lucas,
      Thank you for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed making the fizzy sherbet. What did you learn about making fizzy sherbet?
      From Ms Wong

• Dear 3/4 W
        I learnt that the reason the fizzy sherbet fizzs in your mouth is because the saliva mixes with the bi-carb soda and citric acid.

From Tara

• Dear Tara,
          I also learned about the reason fizzy sherbets fizzes in your mouth. What did you think happened before you found that out?
          From Lucas

2. WHY ICE MELTS
    Dear 3/4W

The reason that ice and water switch places so much is that ice is water in its frozen form! Did you know that water could take on different forms?? Here’s how it works:

The water you are probably the most familiar with is liquid water, which appears smooth and clear and is in a state where it could fit itself into the shape of any container your poured it in. What you can’t see when you look at water is that it’s actually made up of lots and lots of tiny particles. (Awesome!)

These tiny particles move around when water is in its liquid form, but as the temperature gets lower and colder, they slow down and move less. Eventually, if it’s cold enough, they move so little that they stick together and change from liquid water to water in its solid form… ice!

Ice melts because when the temperature warms up, the particles separate and start shifting around again, eventually moving around enough that they turn back into liquid!
    From Lucas

3. Dear 34W,
    My favourite experiment is the fizzy sherbet because you could eat it. I know a experiment that you make butter in.
    From Georgie

• Dear Georgie,
      Do you know what type of reaction, chemical or physical, the fizzy sherbet experiment was?
      From Ms Wong

4. Dear 34W,

I my favourite experiment was the ooblek because the ooblek was squishy then it turned hard when you leave it.

From Charlie

5. Dear 34W,
    I found this experiment.
    LAVA IN A CUP
    What you will need:
    A clear drinking glass
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    Water
    Food coloring (optional)

What to do:
    Fill the glass about 3/4 full of water .
    Add about 5 drops of food colouring.
    Slowly pour the vegetable oil into the glass. See how the oil floats on top.
    Sprinkle the salt on top of the oil.
    Watch blobs of lava move up and down in your glass!
    How does it work?
    It’s not real lava but it does look a bit like a lava lamp. First of all, the oil floats on top of the water because it is lighter than the water. Since the salt is heavier than oil, it sinks down into the water and takes some oil with it, but then the salt dissolves and back up goes the oil!

Website:http://sciencebob.com/try-some-lava-in-a-cup/
    From Sarah