Gould League Excursion

On Friday 12th June, 3/4 classes went to Gould League for an excursion for the whole day. This was a sustainability centre. Some of our highlights included:

• Seeing worms in the containers. Some were big and some were tiny. We learnt that worms have a saddle and they have babies very quickly, every few weeks.
  • Going to find some mini beasts in the soil. We found centipedes, cockroaches, earwigs, worms and millipedes.
  • Tasting the herbs likes mint, parsley, oregano, Vietnamese mint, curry leaves and rosemary.
  • Going into the shrinking machine. We learnt what is inside a compost bin. Inside a compost bin live worms who make oxygen for the compost. We learnt that spiders in compost bins don’t do anything except wait for flies to eat.
  • Learning that the egg of a worm contains up to 15 worms.
  • Learning that worms have 5 hearts.
  • Learning how long it takes for some materials to decompose.

Gould League excursion on PhotoPeach

What other things do you know about recycling or sustainability? What could you do to help the environment?

29 thoughts on “Gould League Excursion

• Dear Libby,
      Thank your for your comment. That is very important to put your recycling into the recycling bin. What else did you learn from the Gould league excursion?
      From Ms Wong

1. Dear 3/4W
    The most favourite part of the excursion is the is picking up the worms and the shrinking machine.
    From Aditya

• Dear Aditya,
      Thank you for your comment. Why did you like that part the best? What did you learn about that?
      From Ms Wong

2. Dear 3/4 W
    If we could do more rubbish free days we would not have to make landfill grow.This would help the environment.

From Tara

• Dear Evan,
      What type of things did you enjoy in Gould League Centre? I enjoyed the activity when we went outside to find some mini beasts in the wild.
      From Max

• Dear Konstantine and Max,
        I agree littering is really really bad for the environment and if we keep on littering we would have too many landfill places. We need to have more recycling bins like plastic, paper, glass and metal cans and maybe the 3/4s and 5/6s can take turns bringing the recycling bins to the centre.
        From Amira

3. Dear 3/4W,
    I learnt that what insecsts live in the compost bin. The most interesting insect that I learnt about was the worm.

from Mahir

4. Dear 3/4W,
    We can help the environment by picking up rubbish if we see any. I also learnt worms can have a egg that have 15 worms in it
    From Felix

5. Dear 3/4W and visitors,

We know that ways of protecting the environment are that:
    -We can put rubbish in the bin and not litter
    – Share more knowledge about recycling so that not just maybe 100 of us are recycling, it is the WHOLE world.
    – We can reduce the amount of fishing we do.

From Dhriti and Ashton

• Dear Dhriti and Ashton,
      Those are some great ideas for protecting the environment. How could we share more knowledge about recycling?
      From Ms Wong

6. Dear 3/4W
    I think that if you try and use the least amount of rubbish there will be more amount of play area because there is less landfill.

From Angus

• Dear Angus,
      Good point, however playground materials are made from metal, and perhaps the pollution from the bulldozers and things makes things not environmentally friendly. What do you think?

From Ashton

• Dear Angus
      I agree with your answer I think we should have less rubbish so we can have more play equipment
      From Lucas

7. Dear 3/4W,
    We can help the environment by not dropping rubbish and putting it in the bin. I also know that earth worms help the world by making fresh soil.
    From Georgie.

8. Dear 3/4W

I’ve really enjoyed reading your class blog.

I had no idea that worms have 5 hearts. I think that’s awesome!

From Karena

• Dear Karena,
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog and spending time to read our blog. It’s great that you learnt something from blog like the fact worms have 5 hearts. We hope you continue to enjoy reading our blog. What other things do you know about recycling or sustainability?
      From 3/4W