Addition and Subtraction strategies

This term we have been learning about addition and subtraction strategies.

In addition, some strategies we have been practising are:

• Bridge to ten – where you add to the closest ten
  • Using the algorithm where you add the ones first and you might need to rename.
  • Splitting a number into an easier number to add. For example splitting a number into tens and ones then adding them together.
  • Using the number line to add easier numbers.
  • Counting on by ones
  • Skip counting by 2s, 3s, 4s and so on.

In subtraction, some strategies we have been practising are:

• Algorithm where you take away the ones first and then you may need to rename.
  • Counting backwards by a counting pattern
  • Adding on from a smaller number
  • Using estimation to check our answers
  • Taking away the ones and then tens

What other strategies do you know? What else do you know about addition and subtraction? How might you use this in real life? 

8 thoughts on “Addition and Subtraction strategies

1. Dear 34W
    l have have not much strategies to tell,but l have used some strategies in real life,for example when l got a book and l have some maths problems in there(l know it is weird,but there is some books that have maths problem)and l always use Bridge to ten.
    From Gillian

2. Dear 3/4W
    Addition is super useful when you are using money you might need to also use subtraction if you are giving someone change.I normally use algorithm.

From Tara

3. Dear 3/4W
    I don’t really have that much strategy but i do have some one is abacus and algorithm i have been learning abacus for 4 Years
    -Lucas

4. Dear 3/4W
    I know how to skip count by 4’s, 5’s, 2’s, 3’s and so on. I can also use my time tables facts for example 4+4+4 will equal 3 groups of 4. I also know other ways to work out addition and subtraction like bridge to ten. I think these strategies are really useful.
    From Evan

5. Dear 3/4W
    I use division for subtraction like 16-4-4-4=4 like 16 divide by 4 equals 4. I can also skip count by 2’s, 3’s, 4’s and so on. I think subtraction is very fun.
    From Evan

6. Dear 3/4W

I learnt the split strategy it was really usesful because it helped me work out hard sums! 😀 🙂 😀 🙂

From, Charlie