Indigenous Elder Visit

Who knows much about Indigenous people and culture? If you’d like to find out more, read on.

On Wednesday 18th November, 3/4 students were lucky to have Uncle Bill, an Indigenous elder, visit our school. He was called ‘uncle’ out of respect and he is an elder because he is one of the oldest in his skin group.

Some of our highlights included:

• Having the smoke ceremony. This is where Uncle Bill made a small fire and then put eucalyptus on top and 3/4s got to walk through smoke. This is done to welcome a new group and in Indigenous culture, they also snap spears and use water to welcome people.
  • Finding out that Indigenous people used possum skin for balls (footballs)
  • Finding out Indigenous people used fibres from trunk of trees to make nets to catch ducks.
  • We learnt Indigenous people threw one boomerang which looked like an eagle so ducks would head downstream into reeds so other Indigenous people could then catch the ducks. There were two nets tied to each tree.
  • We learnt that boys would hunt and girls would get the food.
  • We learnt about different Indigenous skin groups. A skin group is how people notice what and who is in your family.
  • There were also totems that represented different animal groups such as eagle, tiger snake and crow.

What else do you know about Indigenous people? Have you ever met an Indigenous elder and what did you learn about them?

16 thoughts on “Indigenous Elder Visit

1. Dear 3/4W
    I really enjoyed the elder visit. I especially liked walking through the smoke. We went into the hall to watch a powerpoint. We learnt about the skin groups and lots more. I would really like to visit another indigenous elder and learn more.
    From Evan

2. Dear 34W,
    the visit from the indigenous man Uncle Bill was awesome! I learned a lot of stuff. We walked through smoke which was very interesting. I never met an Indigenous person 😀 🙂 😀 🙂
    From Eloise

• Dear Eloise,

I also really liked the Indigenous Elder I thought going through the smoke was also really cool, what was your favorite bit out of the whole visit?

From James 🙂

• Dear James and Eloise,
        I really enjoyed he smoking ceremony as well. I thought we were really lucky because not many schools are able to have a Elder visit them. I learnt a lot of different things from the elder.

From Dhriti 🙂

3. Dear 34w
    l did really enjoyed the elder visit, l like the part when Uncle Bill showed us all the picture about some of the famous person, and facts about them.And they think the land is their mother, l think it is a really good thing to say.

From Gillian

4. Dear 3/4W,
    I liked the Aboriginal Elder visit because I learnt thet they thought that they were actully a spirit that had taken this form (human form) and when they died they went back into the spirits form.
    From Sarah

5. Dear 34W,
    When Uncle Bill came I learnt that to keep Aborignals fit, they played a game like footy but with a possum skin ball, people kicked a ball and others jumped up to grab it, it sounded very fun. I also liked the smoking ceremony because I had never walked through smoke.
    From Dhriti 🙂

6. Dear 3/4W,

I learnt from an Indigenous elder that they had totems to represent there animal group like eagles, tigers and snakes.

From Georgie

7. Dear 34W,
    Something that i learnt is that they use possum skin to play football and I also have met an Aboriginal Elder.His name is Uncle Bill.Something that I learnt from him is that boys would hunt and girls would get the food.
    From Sowmya