State of Change

This term, our inquiry unit is called ‘State of Change’. We are learning about the states of matter and doing different science experiments. We have learnt that the different states include solids, liquids and gases. Solids are usually hard and don’t change shape. Liquids can change shape and they can be poured but they can’t change size. Gases are usually not visible and they can change shape and they take all the room that they are given.

Some experiments we have completed include:

• Making popcorn
  • Making a volcano
  • Making sherbert
  • Making invisible ink
  • Melting chocolate

This is a video of one of our science experiments.

What has been your favourite experiment and what did you learn? Or what other science experiments do you know?

29 thoughts on “State of Change

1. Dear 3/4W,
    I liked the sherbet experiment because it intresting that your saliva makes a reaction to the sherbert and it was very tasty.
    regards Taiyo

• Dear Taiyo,
      I had the same ideas and for meit was so tasty. And my favorite part was when it bubbled and fiizzed in my mouth. I also found it very interesting how it react.
      From Wonlee

2. Dear 3/4W,
    We enjoyed making popcorn because it was very fun. We learnt that if you heat popping corn it will pop into popcorn.

From Shari & Ayla 😉

• Dear Shari & Ayla ;(
      The popcorn experiment was pretty cool. But I would rather have salty popcorn. The heat did have a reaction on the popcorn kernels.
      From Rhiannon and Angel 🙂

• Dear Shari & Ayla
      Me & yianni,
      both like popcorn I agree it was awsome
      because we get popcorn at SCHOOL!
      from Yianni and Nicholas

3. Dear 3/4w
    One of my favourite experiments was the melting chocolate one. I learnt that when the the solid chocolate block touched the heat the reaction was the solid block started to turn into chocolate liquid.
    From Rhiannon
    P.S my favourite part was tasting the chocolate.

• Dear Rhiannon, I thought that the chocolate didn’t melt. The melted chocolate tasted so,really good . P.S did you think that the chocolate was good?

4. dear 34W,
    I am so excited for what we are on sience experiments we are doing this week!,
    from yianni and Nick

5. Dear 3/4w,
    I liked the sherbert experimemt because I was interesting that yoer saliva can react to the sherbert and make bubbles and it was tasty.
    Regards Taiyo

• Dear Taiyo,
      The sherbet was funny and felt like popping candy in my mouth. Ms Field helped it was a fun yummy experiment
      From Minah

6. Dear 3/4W,
    I enjoyed making invisble ink. I learnt that if you put heat on lemon juice it makes it visable.

From Ayla 😉

7. Dear 34w,
    The reaction of the bubbles is very cool.It did smelt like vinegar of chips. I look forward to some other expirerments with you.
    From Sean.

• Dear Sean
      I agree with you that the reaction of bubbles are really cool. It smelled a lot like vinegar chips. Did you like the chocolate experiment?
      From Rhianno:) 😉

8. Dear 34w,
    I love eating the sherbet and chocalte!!!
    I wish we can do more expirments about food.
    I love the impact of the choclate melting.
    By Quan

9. Dear Ms Wong & 3/4W,
    My favourite experiment is the melting chocolate activity.It looks like nothing is happening from birds eye view but it’s all happening at the bottom of the chocolate. The taste was amazing in my mouth!!!It was like an Angel’s gift!
    From Elizabeth ‍♀️

10. Dear 3/4w,
    My favourite science project was melting yummy chocolate.Because it was fun and I learned that hot heat can melt yummy chocolate.And when I tasted it was sweet and yummy.It was felling soft and swishy in my mouth and also my hand.I loved it.
    From Akshaya

11. Dear 34w,
    The invisble ink, with the lemon juice made an unbelieve sight. It was very interesting how, it could be visible with the heat.
    From Quan and Sean

12. Dear 3/4W,
    I really enjoyed the Volcano eruption because I liked how there were bubbles coming out of the plastic cup. I also really like this experiment of my own. It is called the flower change. You get a glass of water and put a white flower in it. Then you put some food die in the water and in a few days the colour of the flower will change and the flower will be the colour of the food die
    From Vicka 😉

13. Dear 3/4W,
    my favourite experiment was making sherbert. I didn’t know that there was not much ingredients. I really liked eating it. It was delicious and fizzy!
    From Amy

14. Dear 34w and Ms Wong
    I learned from watching the video that if the vinegar and baking soda are mixed together they create chemical reaction
    From Raphy

15. Dear 3/4w,
    My favourite experiment was the volcano because I liked watching the reaction when we put all the things together to make the volcano explode. I learnt that when we put the baking soda and the viniger together it made a gas and the gas made the bubbles emerge.
    From Katharine

16. Dear 34w,
    The raw popcorn had no taste and it was to hard. But the popped corn was deilcious. I hope we can have a science party and have popcorn.
    From Quan and Sean 😉

17. Dear 3/4w,
    I enjoyed making the sherbet because it was a fun and also an cool yummy experiment and it was the most fun part when we tasted it.It tasted fizzy and sour and my favourite flavour was the strawberry.

From Minah

18. Dear 3/4w,
    My favourite experiment is the tiny volcano activity.Because when it exploded it made a popping sound.It was amazing.The baking soda and the vinegar made the popping sensation!

From Lynde

19. Dear 34W,
    I really liked the sherbert because it did stuff to my mouth. It was very fizzy.It tasted very yummy.

From Luke 🙂

20. Dear 3/4W
    My favourite experiment is the invisible ink.I learn that when the heat heated the lemon juice it turn visible.
    From Shauna