Toothbrush Troubles!

This term our inquiry unit is called โ€˜I sea I careโ€™. We worked out that in a year if everyone in our whole school (including all the staff) used 4 toothbrushes we would use around 1776 toothbrushes. That’s a lot of toothbrushes going to landfill! This will destroy the environment and marine life. In 3/4w we discussed that this is very alarming so we decided to create jobs for everyone in the class to provide help to the environment and marine life, because toothbrushes are not always recycled. We discovered an organisation called Terracycle, which helps to reduce the amount of plastic in the environment by recycling used toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes. So we decided we would help Terracycle by collecting used toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes. please bring your old ย toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes and place them in the 3/4W boxes!

Kindly Regards

Shauna ย & Elizabeth (students of 3/4w)

Do you care about the marine environment and why? What can you do to help the marine environment?

40 thoughts on “Toothbrush Troubles!

1. Dear 34W,
    yes because my favourite sea animal is stingrays. I can stop using plastic bags from shops and pick up rubbish.
    from Kwong Kwong ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Dear 3/4W,
    We’ve been collecting toothbrushes to reduce and recycle the amount of toothbrushes. Toothbrushes are wasted and dumped into landfills and this needs to stop. We need to stop toothbrushes from wasting into landfill.
    From Ronald

3. Dear 3/4W,
    First of all I really enjoyed telling the school about the toothbrush problem, and how we recycle our own toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes.
    I really care about the ocean and I don’t want it to get polluted

From Shari

4. Dear 3/4W,
    I care about the environment a lot and it is sad seeing all the cute animals like turtles and seals dying. Some things to help the environment would be to throw rubbish in the bin and to stop using so much plastic in the first place. Well done to Elizabeth and Shauna for the blog post! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    From Amy ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

5. Dear 3/4W,
    I really care about marine life because we haven’t discovered all the different types of marine life and we do not want plain oceans without any animals.I think one of the most helpful things would be to use reuseable things rather than plastic items.
    From Ayla ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Dear 3/4W
    First of all great job Elizabeth and Shauna great post. I think we can all do something to protect the ocean. I really care about the ocean and we really need to do something about it because in the future the ocean could be full of rubbish. What I can do to protect the ocean is probably recycle as much as possible and not use single use plastic bags also not to use a lot of toothbrushes.

From Rhiannon ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

7. Dear 34w,
    The toothbrushes has been a problem. I want help the environment. The environment has a big part to play. For example if we lose our fish, the fishermen will have no job.
    From Sean ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Dear Sean
    I agree toothbrushes has been a big problem especially because the school uses that much and that’s just the school!!

From Rhiannon ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Dear 34W
    I care about marine animals because they’re fascinating and if there’s no more, scientists can’t discover any thing new about them. I am helping save marine animals by reducing the amount of plastic I’m using
    By Quan

10. Dear 3/4w,
    I think that we should pass this big problem of toothbrushes to most of the schools in Balwyn. I think we did a great start to recycling toothbrushes.
    From Amy

11. Dear 3/4w,

Yes, I care about marine animals because my favourite marine animals are stingrays and dolphins. I want to help marine animals by reducing plastic and help marine animals

From Akshaya ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Dear 3/4W
    I say we stop using plastic bags because a single piece of plastic can kill hundreds of marine animals
    do you want this to happen?
    By Tomas ๐Ÿ˜›

13. Dear 3/4W,
    Thank you for all of the kind comments about me and Shauna’s blog post about toothbrush troubles. Thank you for also agreeing with our blog post to stop toothbrush from killing marine animals.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Dear 3/4W,
    We care about the enviroment because if we throw rubbish on our land the wind might blow it in our ocean and sea animals might chock by eating rubbish.
    From Sophie and Shauna ๐Ÿ™‚