Descriptive Writing

This term, 3/4W has been focusing on creating descriptive writing pieces. We have worked hard to upgrade our vocabulary, include similes and metaphors to create a picture in our reader’s head. As a class, we have eaten an Oreo and then written about this experience and we have also ‘visited’ a rain forest!

Here is an image

What have you learnt about descriptive writing? Can you write a descriptive sentence based on the image above? 

21 thoughts on “Descriptive Writing

1. Dear 3/4W
    I enjoy this term and all the things we have done so far and I am looking forward to going to the school carnival. Also I love doing maths, music, art, Mandarin, PE writing and school.I am looking forward to having a great term.
    From Raphael

2. Dear 3/4W,
    I have learnt in descriptive writing that if you put your mind into creating wow – sentences, you can make some pretty amazing sentences(for eg: for the oreo tasting I wrote: My tastebuds were killing me and I smacked my lips together)I’m pretty proud of them. Also I think you need to read a lot of books to get a lot of ideas, It helps a lot! You can choose how you want your sentences to be like,you can make it funny or just intresting sentences its fun either way! 😉
    From Katharine

• Dear Katharine,
      Thanks for your reply! I’m glad you have learnt a lot from writing descriptive pieces. I enjoyed your oreo sentence! Can you write one for the picture too?
      From Ms Wong

3. Dear 3/4W,
    I heard tigers growling at me. Until I realised I was in s rainforest. I started to panic as I spotted a lime green snake slithering towards me.
    From Minah

4. Dear 3/4W
    I see numerous birds, their feathers so bright. I see a sneaky slithering snake slithering up the tree. There are leafy trees and big bushes.

From Rhiannon 🙂 🙁 😀 😛

5. Dear 34w,
    I love descriptive writing. The Birds swooped over the bright land. The bugs crawled allover the rocks.

Kind Regards
    Sean :S

6. Dear 3\4W,
    I see lorikeets blending with the lime green trees.The different colours of the birds pop out as the crocodile lies in the water.

From TAIYO ;O 😛

7. Dear 3/4W,
    I learnt to use lots of similies and metaphors. 😐
    This is my descriptive piece on the jungle above. Birds were twittering. Snakes slithered and their tongues flicked in and out. The air was hot and humid. The water of the small pond lapped against the surface. The wind blew against my face. It was paradise.
    By Amy 😛

8. Dear 3/4W,
    I found descriptive writing challenging at first because show not tell for me was hard but now I think it’s fun and easy.

Kind Regards, Wonlee

• Dear Wonlee,
      I’m glad that your opinion about descriptive writing has changed! You have certainly written some very interesting pieces!
      From Ms Wong

9. Dear 3/4W
    this term I have learnt how to use interesting vocabulary and how to write better descriptive writing pieces an example was when we had to write about oreos. I had a really good time.
    from Yianni

• Dear Yianni,
      I’m glad you enjoyed descriptive writing so much! Can you write a descriptive sentence about the picture too?
      From Ms Wong

10. Dear 3/4W
    I learned how to use better vocabulary and upgrade my words. All the animals gathered to the wild forest and none of them knew it was a lion was taking them one by one.
    Fom Quan 😛 😀 :O

11. Dear Ronald,
    This term, we have been learning how to use smiles and using descriptive words.

Snakes were slithering around a rain forest. Birds were chirping and twittering. A crocodile was drinking water from a pond. The water was flowing out from the pond. Trees were crumbling as loud as a whiteboard falling apart.
    From Ronald

12. Dear 3/4W,

My first time doing descriptive writing was very challenging, but later I got the hang of it and started to find it easy and fun.

From Wonlee 😛

13. Dear 34w,
    I am going to describe the picture above.
    The crocodiles lurked in the water. Monkeys swung from tree to tree. Snakes twisted up the tree. Cheetahs zoomed through trees.

From Sean 😛