This term 3/4w has been learning about visual literacy. We learnt about different layouts, shots and angles. Here is an example of a shot. A silhouette for instance is to show outlines of subjects against the light to create a mood. An example of an angle is a high angle. A high angle is an aerial or high shot placed above the subject suggesting looking down at them or to emphasise or perspective. We worked hard to illustrate some pictures to accompany our narrative pieces thinking about different layouts, shots and angles.
Look at some pictures we did. What layouts, shots and angles do you see?
34W Visual literacy portrait-1egp6i3
34W visual lit landscape-1ym4jjb
Last term, 3/4W participated in an activity called Matter Chef. It was just like Master Chef. We had a mystery ingredient which was an egg. We had 5 minutes at the pantry, 10 minutes to put together our ingredients, and 10 minutes at the Matter chef frying pan. We had judges taste our food, which was delicious. We made food like pancakes and toast, with toppings of peaches and chocolate. Here are some photos of 3/4W making their dessert:
What was your favourite part of Matter Chef and why?
Or if you didn’t participate,
What do you think you would have most enjoyed?
Term 2 has been a whirlwind of fun. We have participated in so many different activities. Some of them include:
- Matter Chef where we were put in 5 teams and we had to cook using eggs as our mystery item and a variety of ingredients. We were judged on our cooking and the judges had to taste our food. Ms Wong even tasted our food!
- Swimming for two weeks. We really enjoyed learning new strokes and going on large inflatable obstacle course.
- Having the forensic science incursion. We were told a diamond was stolen and we had to use clues to work out who was the thief out of four suspects.
- The Winter Concert where some people in 3/4W played the violin and guitar for the orchestras.
- Cross Country where we had to run 2km around a park.
- The illustrator/author Craig Smith visiting 3/4W. He showed us some of his great drawings and we had a go of drawing a kid on a skateboard.
- Art where we used clay to make pinch pots and clay figures.
- Mad about the Science incursion where a scientist spoke to us about dry ice and taught us about the different states of matter – gas, solid and liquid.
- Narrative writing where we wrote from the point of view of a character from a fairy tale. For example, writing from the point of view of Rumplestilskin or Goldilocks.
- Narrative writing where we wrote a sequel to a fairy tale. For example, writing what happens next in Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
- The Biggest Morning Tea to raise money for the Cancer Council with our Year 1/2 buddy class.
- Maths times tables. We are hoping to get our licences soon.
- Having a student teacher, Ms Field, work with us for two weeks. She helped us with our science experiments.
- Reading groups where we read interesting books including The Twits, In Big Trouble and Veruschka Babushka.
- Maths fractions where we made fraction posters on what is a half.
What was your favourite activity this term and why?
This term, our inquiry unit is called ‘State of Change’. We are learning about the states of matter and doing different science experiments. We have learnt that the different states include solids, liquids and gases. Solids are usually hard and don’t change shape. Liquids can change shape and they can be poured but they can’t change size. Gases are usually not visible and they can change shape and they take all the room that they are given.
Some experiments we have completed include:
- Making popcorn
- Making a volcano
- Making sherbert
- Making invisible ink
- Melting chocolate
This is a video of one of our science experiments.
What has been your favourite experiment and what did you learn? Or what other science experiments do you know?
This term 3/4W has had their integrated unit as Terra Transformations. We all did a project, we could choose from a poster, booklet, power point presentation or video. It was very fun presenting our projects to the class. Some people’s presentations were amazing, incredible and educational. Here are some of our projects:
What natural disaster do you like the most and why? Look at one of our presentations and please give us a feedback (a compliment and a suggestion).
This term, 3/4W went swimming at Aquarena and really enjoyed it. We went outdoors into the diving pool and practised in water that was deep. At the end of our 8 day swimming course, we had improved our swimming and survival skills. 9 out of 10 students would like to go to swimming again. Here are some strokes that we did.
What is your favourite stroke? If so, why do you like it?
This term 34w has been fantasticly experiencing coding. We learnt many different ways to make different games. Thanks to Ms Wong and Miss Price 34w now feels experienced with coding and some people practise at home. If you would like to start coding go to
and join scratch today!
If you’re having trouble trying to make a game download scratchjunior on your ipad or iphone to get you started with coding.
How do you feel about coding? What do you like about it?
This term the 34s have had a splendid term of being part of the knitting club. It was wonderful to have so many participate in the Knit One Give One company (KOGO). Students had fun learning this new skill. I hope next term will be just as awesome.
If you have never knitted before, you can go visit the following sites:
Have you ever knitted something? If so, please tell us about it.
This term, 3/4W have had a super term doing so many different activities. Some of our highlights included:
- Cross country because you got to do your personal best.
- PE playing the Star Wars game because we got to verse one another and this was a lot of fun.
- Science incursion with Rick in the hall because we learnt new things about science including sound and vibrations.
- Fizzics incursion because we got to see a fire made from flour, air and heat.
- Running club because you could improve your running around the school by beating your personal best.
- Presenting on a natural disaster because we used our creativity and it was fun.
- Using hexagons to connect our learning for integrated unit on natural disasters because we found out that a lot of things we learnt were linked.
- Writing our persuasive pieces and finding a powerful image to match it because it was great to see how people used different persuasive devices.
- Coding because you get to make new games and learn new things.
- Learning about data and graphing because it is interesting to compare results.
- Knitting club because we got to learn a new skill and make scarves for people who don’t have that much money.
- Our blog because we got to write posts and reply to one another.
- Reading groups and making an ad for the books we were reading.
What did you enjoy or find the most interesting this term? If you are not in 3/4W, what do you think sounds the most interesting?
In the past term, 3-6 students from our school all competed in a running race known as Cross Country. We all went to the local park for this event and had to run twice around the oval.
The races were according to age groups and gender. From those races the top ten students would get to compete in the next level known as District where they would have to compete against other schools in our District. We all had a wonderful time and tried our best even though some of us didn’t make it.
Have you ever competed in a running race, if you have could you please tell us something about it ?