This term we have been learning about addition and subtraction strategies.
In addition, some strategies we have been practising are:
- Bridge to ten – where you add to the closest ten
- Using the algorithm where you add the ones first and you might need to rename.
- Splitting a number into an easier number to add. For example splitting a number into tens and ones then adding them together.
- Using the number line to add easier numbers.
- Counting on by ones
- Skip counting by 2s, 3s, 4s and so on.
In subtraction, some strategies we have been practising are:
- Algorithm where you take away the ones first and then you may need to rename.
- Counting backwards by a counting pattern
- Adding on from a smaller number
- Using estimation to check our answers
- Taking away the ones and then tens
What other strategies do you know? What else do you know about addition and subtraction? How might you use this in real life?